We know his name. It's Omran. Omran Daqneesh.

I wonder what this little guy was doing just before he heard the aircraft that dropped the bombs?
Playing with his brother, who died? Or with his sister who lived? Helping his mom? Watching tv, looking at a picture book or playing with his car.... possibly making car sounds and driving around the legs of the coffee table?

He's 5 years old. I know 5 year olds. I reckon he wasn't expecting a ride in an ambulance and to have his photo taken...... or his brother, his home, his idea of normalcy at home with his family.... taken... by an impersonal bomb that fell from the sky..... from a plane.... sent by someone who didn't know Omran's name.

We now know his name. It's Omran. Omran Daqneesh.
I'd like to say, politics aside, let's respond humanely, compassionately, justly. But we can't put politics aside because it's ego, greed for power and politics that placed this boy in the path of that bomb.

What am I going to do about this? I'm going to deal justly and generously with other refugees. My Lord Jesus was a refugee. He taught about generosity, justice and compassion. I'm going to try to apply His teaching in practical, relevant and personal ways. It's consistent with my faith and my role as a disciple. It's my faith lived. I don't understand why other Jesus followers don't understand this.

Obviously, you don't have to be a Jesus follower to be kind and compassionate, but I would assume Jesus followers definitely would be. Look at Omran's face, through the dust and blood. Look.

The boy, Omran, is speechless. We cannot be.

Syrian child pulled from rubble after Aleppo airstrike –
https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2016/aug/18/syrian-child-pulled-from-rubble-after-aleppo-airstrike-video


Comments