Comfortable with Different

Being in community with people of other worldviews, faiths and traditions requires different thinking than when we all lived in homogenous societies.

Knowing who we are is imperative. Only then can we relate in healthy and nondefensive ways.

People sometimes speak of not offending others; being inoffensive. The whole idea of 'fending' is combative, and unhelpful if we truly desire relationship.

Buber's "I & Thou", though not an easy read, sets the ground for healthy interaction in relationship.

When I am comfortable with who I am, and know who's I am, I should be on solid ground to converse with anyone else.

Some people think that being in relationship with people who are similar is easier. It may be, but it's not as interesting or enriching.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments