Describing, or differentiating?

Heard a black man speaking today about how America obsesses about colour.

He made some clever comparisons and jokes: how white people tan their skin and dark people bleach theirs.

Think about it, Snow White was the fairest of them all. The good guy wears the white hat, the bad guy the black hat.

I heard a man telling a story last week. He spoke of the crew who did some clean up work after a storm. "The men piled out of the truck, then the black man ran the chain saw.... "

... why was it important to describe one man by colour? Just differentiating, maybe, like saying the short guy or bald man?

Or not?

I don't know.

You can't see a motive so you can't judge a motive. Maybe the colour reference was just a descriptor.

Comments

Shanda said…
I remember once when my boys told me of an event at school. In attempting to find out what kid was involved, I asked them to describe the person. They said everything but color. (But I knew because of they way they immitated the way the kid talked) Made me proud.