Abbey of the Arts Monk's Manifesto and Links

Welcome to Abbey of the Arts

The Abbey is a monastery without walls, offering online classes, retreats, books, and resources to nurture contemplative practice, creative expression, and kinship with nature.


When you think of a monk, what comes to mind? Come on. Give it a moment.

Too much of what we do online is skimming without contemplation. This is an opportunity to think and reflect a minute.

What's your traditional picture of a monk? Robed, hooded, sandled?

Check out what it might look like, according to Abbey of the Arts, to be a Monk in the world.

Monk Manifesto

Monk: from the Greek monachos meaning single or solitary, a monk in the world does not live apart but immersed in the everyday with a single-hearted and undivided presence, always striving for greater wholeness and integrity

Manifesto: from the Latin for clear, means a public declaration of principles and intentions.

Monk Manifesto: A public expression of your commitment to live a compassionate, contemplative, and creative life.

Jun 19 2010 0083a11. I commit to finding moments each day for silence and solitude, to make space for another voice to be heard, and to resist a culture of noise and constant stimulation.

2. I commit to radical acts of hospitality by welcoming the stranger both without and within. I recognize that when I make space inside my heart for the unclaimed parts of myself, I cultivate compassion and the ability to accept those places in others.

3. I commit to cultivating community by finding kindred spirits along the path, soul friends with whom I can share my deepest longings, and mentors who can offer guidance and wisdom for the journey.

4. I commit to cultivating awareness of my kinship with creation by spending time in nature and recognizing that it is the foundational matrix from which I live and love.

5. I commit to bringing myself fully present to the work I do, whether paid or unpaid, holding a heart of gratitude for the ability to express my gifts in the world in meaningful ways.

6. I commit to rhythms of rest and renewal through a commitment to regular practice ofSabbath and resist a culture of busyness that measures my worth by what I do.

7. I commit to a lifetime of ongoing conversion and transformation, recognizing that I am always on a journey with both gifts and limitations.

_____________________

Abbey of the Arts has e-courses and live courses as well as a blog, resources and links. Check it out for an old world practice in an e-world context.


Upcoming classes


I'm not sure how I found the Abbey of the Arts, but there's a font
of inspirational and informational resources to tap in to.

Comments