What Charity Would Jesus Support?

Sharing the wealth is often a simple way to help share the journey with families and individuals with obstacles we don't have.

After my family was so brilliantly supported by Hospice while my
mum was ill with cancer, I made Hospice my charity of choice. There are so many good causes. How to choose between them?

Do you ever feel guilty when you decline the opportunity to give? I tell collectors that I prioritise my giving and have chosen to give to Hospice. I have broadened my range a bit and will do what I can for Autism and Alzheimer's association collections.


I know many religious people who only give to their faith organisations.
That seems to be a disconnect with society and the struggles of those around us. Dare I throw in the question: What Would Jesus Do?

I rarely use that question because, though it's intentions were good, it's half-baked when it comes to mature believers living Jesus in the real world today. But if it'll take us back to his interactions with people along the roadsides and around Jerusalem, then let's use it.

Jesus wasn't only interested in people's spiritual well being. That's to support a dualism that suggests the body doesn't matter. Jesus' heart was soft to everyone and he noticed those who struggled or suffered, even when the religious of the day did not notice.


Which then might bring us to the question of why do we give to charities? Motivation is a tricky thing to discern sometimes. It's often not
simple and straightforward.

When I give to Hospice and the ladies behind the table thank me, I usually respond with, "No, this is my THANK YOU to Hospice." It's not generosity or compassion, but gratitude.

To whom do you give and why? What do you do when you see those ads on tv showing yet another famine or pass by a collection point during a fund-raising drive?

char·i·ty (chr-t)
n. pl. char·i·ties
1. Provision of help or relief to the poor; almsgiving.
2. Something given to help the needy; alms.
3. An institution, organization, or fund established to help the needy.
4. Benevolence or generosity toward others or toward humanity.
5. Indulgence or forbearance in judging others.
6. The theological virtue defined as love directed first toward God but also toward oneself and one's neighbors as objects of God's love.

Comments

Sonia said…
NO thank you for sharing...!