Amuse Yourself to Death, but Take Control of your Facebook

Mashable is a social media guide and a well of good info on how to manage your info flow.

I can't keep up with the changes to Facebook, Twitter, etc, so rely on Mashable, LifeHacker, friends and others to help me manage my info technology.

One of my major goals is to manage my technology, not let it manage me. I don't always get it right, but I do know where the OFF button is on the TV remote and I only watch programs I've chosen to prior to sitting down. I do get sucked in to the internet, so need to find a thread or breadcrumb way to extricate myself upon occasion.

Anyway, Tips on Managing your Facebook Livefeed and info flow from Mashable

As you add to your Facebook your news feed and wall can turn into one big mess. It’s nice to communicate with your friends, but if you can’t find useful posts amidst all those silly apps or your real friends amongst all the unknown people you’ve befriended, it’s time to clean up your Facebook profile. I had to hide Farmville, for one as it began to dominate my wall, and I don't even use the app! I would respond to requests for manure by buying bags of horse droppings and leaving them on my friends' doorstep!

Facebook offers several options for you to choose what individual applications and people can see or do on your Facebook profile. Facebook changes often, so you might feel lost in all the options. Mashable offers a rundown of the most efficient ways to make more sense of your Facebook.

Hide them from the feed!

The simplest way to control what shows up in your News Feed is to click “Hide” on an item you don’t want to see. Facebook will ask you whether you want to hide that person or page, once you confirm it, you won’t see anything from them again.

Friends & Lists

Let’s face it: In most cases, only a small number of your friends on Facebook are good, real-life friends. You’ve also got acquaintances, business partners, coworkers, and if you’re really trigger happy when it comes to friending, a bunch of people you don’t know at all. (Do you have friend requests you haven't confirmed?)

On Facebook, you can organize friends into Friend Lists, which will let you filter your news feed and the chat box. The process can be a little tedious, but it can make a huge difference.

Lists are now displayed under Friends in the Facebook homepage; click on it to see all the lists you’ve created. Furthermore, to edit lists, click on Account – Edit Friends. From there, you can add or remove friends from your lists, delete lists or create new ones.

Apps

Amazing how many you can accumulate over time. Check them out in your account Settings, deauthorize some and Edit Settings for others.

Go to the Mashable link to see all the tips and tricks, but take charge of your Facebook so it serves you and doesn't frustrate or overwhelm you.

Also, read Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman or check out the link on YouTube.


Comments