A Priest Today in this Cultural Landscape

While I borrow this from Prodigal Kiwi(s), read Jemma's blog at exilicchaplain.

Ten Years a Priest and Much Has Changed – Jemma Allen on Priesthood

Paul writes – Friend and Anglican Priest /University Chaplain Jemma Allen reflects a little on having been ordained a priest for 10-years. I observe the following themes in her reflecting:

  1. The changing face of priesthood (while she reflects on her journey, and it’s changes; the bigger picture is that the role of the priest has changed).
  2. What distinguishes a priest when you take away the clerical clothing?
  3. The importance of “time for you”; of time for the other.
  4. The priority of listening, and of being with others (especially outside of a congregational contexts – Jemma is a University Chaplain).
  5. What happens to priesthood when you take away what is regarded as a central function of priesthood – officiating at the Eucharistic table…? The role of priest as “gatherer” is often used to describe this function – they gather a congregation around the central act of worship. What happens to ones identity as "priest" when your context and activity is beyond the edges of a more traditional parish context? What function and role does priestly identity and gifting serve outside of the congregational context?
  6. The importance of subverting cultural measures of effectiveness: “busyness” and “productivity”. The importance of offering an alternative way of being in the world.
  7. The recognition (albeit, implicitly) that the cultural landscape has changed markedly. As Alan Roxburgh is fond of saying, we live in an “unthinkable world” and there is a need to see “with different eyes”. For me, this includes how we see the contemporary role of the priest, a role that is at once ancient and future, although in contemporary contexts too often the emphasis is on the “ancient” rather than on the “future” and the missional formation of priests.

Paul,"In a week that I celebrated a birthday, Jemma wrote (and I quote her post in full)"

“Ten years ago today (28/11/09), I was ordained a priest.

Jemma Allen Currently there is not much in my day-to-day life that looks especially “priestly”. I may not have worn my alb and stole at all so far this year. I don’t think I’ve presided at the Eucharist. I may have worn a “clerical shirt”/dog collar once or twice.

It isn’t what I would have imagined being a priest would be like. For the first few years of being a priest I would have worn vestments and presided at the Eucharist most every week. Even when I began at the university four and a half years ago, I thought that there would be weekly Eucharist and other places where my “priestly ministry” would be expressed more formally. (And for a time there was).

My bishop probably gives the same talk to all ordinands. A priest, he tells you, is someone who has “time for you”. He talks about the importance of having time, of not being busy; of being on the side of the poor and marginalised, the broken-hearted, the widow and orphan (for); and of seeing people in their particularity, of seeing them as beloved of God (you). At least that’s how I remember the talk.

It’s easy to be sucked into busy-ness. To feel the need to be productive. Anyone who’s seen me in the last couple of weeks wouldn’t have got the sense that I was a person with “time for you”. Nor time for anything but crossing off lists and getting things done. I’ve all but forgotten my vocation.

For me, being a priest is about resisting the urge to be “useful” and “productive”. It is attempting to live as if I know that humans are of value by virtue of their being rather than their doing. And offering that recognition to everyone I come into contact with. Beloved of God. Human being…”

Comments