Grow Your Own! Can you?

What would happen if the dire predictions of food shortages were to come true? Could you supply a portion of your food needs from the land available to you? Would you know how?

In some places in the world it is time to plant veggie gardens. Not here in NZ, but I'd love to get my hands in the soil right now. It's good for the soul.

Mort Mather writes of his vegetable self-sufficiency in Mother Earth News. Click on the link for all the necessary info on how to grow your own!

Maybe there's something for you to learn in his experience.

Born in 1938, I was a product of the Great Depression. Ben Franklin's words from another era, "waste not, want not;" are burned into my psyche. How could people have gotten into the dreadful positions in which they found themselves during the thirties? More important, how could I avoid the same kind of pain and struggle if history repeated itself in my lifetime?

. . .

Nothing has fascinated me for as long as gardening. There are so many variables and so many things yet to be learned the mystery of the soil, the beauty of growth, the timing, the search for the best variety of a vegetable, the fresh air, my bare feet connected to the earth, working with nature, learning, observing, and every year tasting and being nourished by the product of this collaboration.

Mort is now on his 26th self-sufficient garden and immodestly reports that the last time he went to the grocery store was for batteries.

Comments