Emotional Energy, Pt 2

I'm not so blind as to think I'm easy to get along with, consistently humble, generous and kind. Wait 'til I'm tired, in pain or hungry and see the real Jill! Poor customer service can really get me going as does disrespect and rudeness. I can be difficult too, but I don't do it for sport!

The Bible is a great help to me in dealing with difficult people, especially Psalms, Proverbs and reflecting on the grace God has shown to me. When I look at myself the way God does, it changes my attitude about everything. When I look at other people the way Jesus does, it changes my attitude about them.

Maybe you're not in to trolling through the Bible to gain a new perspective but would like lighter fare. Other books can give us frameworks for handling fragile, fickle and friction fueled people too. Try Og Mandino, Jon Gordon, Max Lucado or Pike Place Fishmongers in Seattle. More on FISH! tomorrow.

One such modern day parable is The Energy Bus about a man named George who was having some problems with himself, life, and work. In the story the bus driver gives him 10 rules about The Energy Bus that changed his life. Here are the 10 rules:
  • You're the driver of your bus
  • Desire, vision, focus moves your bus in the right direction
  • Fuel your bus with positive energy
  • Invite people on your bus and share your vision for the road ahead
  • Don't waste your energy on those who don't get on your bus
  • Post a sign that says"no energy vampires allowed" on your bus
  • Enthusiasm attracts more passengers and energises them during the ride
  • Love your passengers
  • Drive with a purpose
  • Have fun and enjoy the ride
The Energy Bus reviewed:
In the mode of other best selling business fables The Energy Bus, by Jon Gordon, takes readers on an enlightening and inspiring ride that reveals 10 secrets for approaching life and work with the kind of positive, forward thinking that leads to true accomplishment - at work and at home. Everyone faces challenges. And every person, organization, company and team will have to overcome negativity and adversity to define themselves and create their success. No one goes through life untested and the answer to these tests is positive energy—the kind of positive energy consisting of vision, trust, optimism, enthusiasm, purpose, and spirit that defines great leaders and their teams. Drawing upon his experience and work with thousands of leaders, sales professionals, teams, non-profit organizations, schools, and athletes, Gordon infuses this engaging story with keen insights, actionable strategies and a big dose of positive infectious energy. For managers and team leaders or anyone looking to turn negative energy into positive achievement The Energy Bus provides a powerful roadmap to overcome common life and work obstacles and bring out the best in yourself and your team. When you get on The Energy Bus you’ll enjoy the ride of your life!
"Drive at your own speed and don't compare your success to other buses," Jon Gordon.

What filters do you use when reading such material? Do you glean what might be helpful, grab good stories and adapt strategies for improving the relationships within your organisation? How do you interpret "positive energy" and from whence does it come?

I tend to read with the filter of Jesus' teachings as they help me sift what's worth keeping and what's not. If Jesus were to drive my bus, He'd do much as He did when walking the roads of Galilee. He'd stop for the marginal and the overlooked. He'd have little time for the powermongers and abusers of position or authority. He'd invite people on, but He'd know not everyone was going to accept. Some would, and did, get off. He was sad for them, even as He set His face toward Jerusalem, knowing His destination and purpose. He loved His passengers, His followers, and shared meals and laughs with them.

If we were to make Jesus the driver of the bus, I think much of this allegory would stand up quite well. As in all things, read with discernment, not critical suspicion, but with a good gauge for what's worth keeping and what's not.

Comments

Sonia said…
I enjoyed reading this...thanks for sharing. Im off to the library to get that book...!
Angela said…
Once again you spoke into a situation in which I find myself - thank you! Love ya!
Miss G said…
Thank you. I just read this book for work and was trying to decide how I felt about it coming from a Christian perspective myself. Thanks for the perspective you give here. Kelly