Synonym: Same name as, especially when I can't pronounce it!

A 'synonym' is a word people use when they cant spell or pronounce the other word.

I know how that works. When I lived in Zimbabwe I often could not demonstrate the difference between the implosive or explosive
'd'. So when I was trying to say 'proud' my audience heard 'duck'. Both are spelt 'dada' but pronunciation is quite different. I worked around it.

Another tough one for me in chiShona was 'baba' which means 'father.' I had to resort to calling everyone mister or another appropriate respectful title. Phooey. My American lips just couldn't get the flow of it sometimes.

For fun with words in English, check out the Visual Thesaurus, an interactive tool that allows you to discover the connections between words in a visually captivating display. Word maps let you search for just the right word and then explore related concepts, revealing the way words and meanings relate to each other. It's a word-lover's delight, with more than 145,000 words and 115,000 meanings organized in an innovative and intuitive design. Try it

Combining the visual and the word. I like it.

Comments