International Rivalry

The Australian - New Zealand rivalry is even known in London! The UK Times reported the following with a few nationalistic undercurrents.

"Sydney started its New Year celebrations three hours early with a fireworks display for children... that just so happened to coincide with the moment midnight arrived in Auckland.

Australia prides itself on the display it puts on over Sydney harbour each year but it appears it wanted to take no chances in grabbing the pictorial coverage of New Year around the world.

Auckland was the first city in the world to start 2010 at 1100 GMT and New Zealand marked the occasion with a firework display from the top of the Auckland Sky Tower. It was preceded only by Christmas Island, in the Pacific Ocean, which is the first inhabited place on Earth to celebrate the New Year. "

I have photos of the Auckland Sky City fireworks as I was across the harbour, at the water's edge, nearly tucked under the Harbour Bridge. I hesitate to post those photos as I don't want to add to this rivalry, oft played out on the sporting fields, but sometimes in the pubs too!

While I understand the family friendly nature of the early start, I must question if there wasn't something of a headline grabbing intent behind it all! Goodness me. Even my dad commented on the Australian celebrations. He saw them on TV in Florida!

Well, I've lodged a friendly complaint with my Brisbane agent and must leave it there for now. The important results will be seen on the rugby field.

Comments