Abraham Lincoln's Wisdom

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. AL


As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. AL


Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm. AL


Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing. AL

Abraham Lincoln

When I was ten years old, I visited the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. with my grandmother. I couldn't figure out why she thought she needed to read the Gettysburg Address to me. It was engraved on the wall of the memorial big as life for all to see!

When I turned to ask her why she was reading it aloud, I saw that she wasn't reading it at all, but was staring out over the Mall, reciting it! WoW! I followed along as she read and was more amazed. I don't know how old she was then, as old as the hills, I suppose, but she was an intelligent woman who had chosen marriage over a formal education, but retained what she had learned in school.

We also visited Gettysburg on that trip. I think she smacked me when I asked if she'd been there when Lincoln was in 1863.

Comments

Unknown said…
I too, took one of those "educational vacation trips" when I was growing up. It's amazing how much you retain in later years. Even though at the time it may seem a bit of a bore.

A few days ago I was traveling and saw a serpentine brick wall and remembered Thomas Jefferson's wall at his home, in Virginia. That was many years ago, but the image was still there.

Check-out: "Brick Serpentine Walls". The concept still works today.