Travel Irritants


Some of my pet peeves have been brought into focus during my travels by car across the US, and on a few flights.

1. Insulated carafes that say HOT WATER but make my tea taste of coffee.
2. Sheets or pillows that have a whiff of cigarette smoke from hotel workers smoking near laundry.
3. Barking/yapping small dogs in nearby hotel rooms when a larger quieter dog wouldn't even be allowed in. The fact that the yapping started before 7:30 AM did not endear the rodent to me.
4.Fellow passengers who think they own the armrest between us.
5. Flight attendants who are grouchy before I've even had a chance to irritate them.
6. Road signs that were placed by lifelong residents of the city who have no idea what visitors need to navigate unknown territory. (Same can be said of churches, hospitals or universities)
7. Finding only styrofoam or plastic glasses in hotel rooms.
8. Needing that one thing I decided to leave behind on this leg of the trip.
9. Finishing my book before I've finished my journey and not a thrift store or used bookshop in sight!
10. TSA officials at the airport who don't want to accept my NZ driver's licence as my photo ID. "No, I did not bring my passport. I'm American citizen and shouldn't need to travel around the US with it in my possession."

Hey lurkers! Have some pet peeves to contribute? Comment and join the conversation.

Comments

Unknown said…
"Servers" who are friendly and outgoing ONLY when they present the Check / Bill.

That false face will NOT increase the size of the gratuity.......................which, in my opinion, is based not on percentages, but on attitude and service.
Tash McGill said…
Two, both related to the same thing.

1. It's false economy to try and travel with only a carry-on, when finding a space for the over-sized bag you are convinced you can find a spot for, consumes the flight crew and all other passengers for 25min minutes. And when they say 1 carry-on, that's what they mean, not one full-size suitcase, one garment bag, one purse and one laptop bag, as the person sitting next to me last week interpreted it.

2. When collecting the baggage that you ought to just check anyway, why not stand 3-4ft away from the baggage carousel. That way, everyone has a chance to spot their bag and pull it from the carousel. It's common sense. Standing with your legs pressed to the sheetmetal does not increase the speed with which your bag exits.