The Art of Being Brooke

Brooke Fraser, New Zealander & gifted musician, was interviewed a couple of years ago, but much of the conversation is interesting enough to reread now.

Editor of ACM, MarkT, caught up with Brooke Fraser to talk about her music, her faith and her, Albertine.

MarkT: Thanks for your time today Brooke! ACM is concerned with dialoguing around the perhaps unanswerable question, ‘What is Christian Music?'. How would you define Christian Music and where do you see yourself within its context?

Brooke Fraser: I suppose I'd say I'm vehemently opposed to being called a Christian Musician in terms of the CCM [Contemporary Christian Music] music industry. And I know a lot of people, particularly people making worship music, who feel the same way. They're pretty disturbed by what CCM has become -- the merchandising of the Gospel. There are those who are actually abusing the name of Jesus, making money off of what is sacred and turning the temple into a marketplace. And at the same time you have to acknowledge that there are those who have genuine hearts and who are truly doing what God has called them to do... you can't tar everyone with the same brush. So my position is that I refuse to be associated with that part of the industry, but am I a Christian? Absolutely I'm a Christian -- I'm a Christian before I'm a musician! But like with anything we do, we should approach our work, whatever that is, with a willingness and a desire to be led by the Holy Spirit... that the labour of our hands would result in giving glory to God and furthering the Great Commission... whatever that looks like. It could be in music, or in a construction company. But I definitely acknowledge that music is a tool -- that it is a heavenly language. There's actually no music in Hell... the Bible confirms that... but music has this ability to override, or bypass people's intellect and go straight to the soul. So I certainly recognise the responsibility of being a musician and a songwriter who knows Jesus and has the Holy Spirit living in them. It means I'm required to have a much greater perspective...

MarkT: So essentially you're a Christian who writes songs, rather than a ‘Christian Songwriter' as such? Now some people have set ideas about what Christian music should be, its purpose, its role within the Church etc. You're signed to Sony/BMG -- a major secular record company -- and have a large audience outside of the Church as well... do you find there is any sort of tension between these two particular ‘spheres', especially when it comes to the lyrics you write?

Brooke Fraser: No, not really. To be honest I've never struggled with this. You can't put what God is doing on this earth into a box... it can't be summarised into tidy categories. Whatever God is doing through my life, it's not just about me. There's a stirring happening in God's Church, through the creative arts, creative ministries and other things too... and as time moves on we get closer and closer to Jesus coming back. God has a plan for the whole earth and it involves everyone one of us doing our part -- it's not necessarily going to look like something we can easily understand on the natural. I write worship songs that are for the building up of God's people in the Church, and I love that because I'm able to express really clearly, and declare uncompromisingly my love for Jesus. But at the same time I recognise the importance of my other songs as being like parables... taking Church to people who would never walk into a church...

MarkT: Congratulations by the way on the new album, ‘Albertine', it's fantastic! I've been listening to it quite a lot recently. It's been some time coming... what's been happening for you over the last few years? ‘What To Do With Daylight' was released in 2003?

Brooke Fraser: I guess most people don't understand the ins and outs of the music industry, what happens in the journey, from writing the songs to actually getting them on the shelf... The work doesn't stop when you get the album into stores... it actually starts then, which you'd be well aware of. So with the last album, ‘What To Do With Daylight', I didn't actually finish promoting that ‘til late 2005... that was literally two and a half years of living with those songs, promoting them, talking about them and touring them. It wasn't until all that promotional work was out of the way, that I could then move on to something else. So in reality, it was only about a year from the completion of that album to making the next one.

MarkT: And you visited Africa during that time as well. That's obviously been a big influence on your new album?

Brooke Fraser: Yeah, definitely.

MarkT: Could you tell me about the impact that trip had on you, and perhaps a little bit about the song ‘Albertine' ? -- you touch on the story behind that song in the album liner notes...

Brooke Fraser: Yeah, I put that story in the liner notes ‘cause I knew I would be asked a lot about the song... it's difficult for me to talk about really... so I wanted to come up with a simple way of summarising it, without going into all the details. The details are hard to relive, and go over and over again -- I don't want to become numb to it. But going to Rwanda for the first time in 2005 had an indescribable effect on me. Not just on a soul level: my mind, my will, my emotions, but on a spiritual level. I felt something shift -- like I'd been handed the task for my life. I can't really articulate the way it's changed me, I just know I haven't been the same since going there. I returned again last year to see the new projects we'd established in different communities and to Hope Rwanda. I'll definitely be having an ongoing involvement with that country.

MarkT: How does your music, your performance, your touring fit with your desire to assist the work of these mission organisations? Do you actually have enough time? How does it work practically?

Brooke Fraser: Well it's hard! It's very stretching. But I'm really blessed to have management and a record company who really understand that that's a huge part of my heart... that if I don't go and do those things I'll be miserable, and that won't be good for anybody! And so it's really amazing. Obviously there are seasons when I need to be committed to doing promotion, but fortunately I am able to block out time in my schedule to be able to do those trips. For example last month I went to the Philippines with Opportunity International... those get blocked out of my calendar so everyone knows I'm not available for promotion during those times, so I am available to serve the Church. They're really amazing like that, I know that that's not normal.

MarkT: You mentioned earlier your dislike of the CCM industry, what about your own response to success and fame? How do you cope with that? Your life must have changed a lot since the success of your first album...

Brooke Fraser: It's definitely a test. It costs you so much. And unless I continually look at the big picture to get an eternal perspective on it, it can be really hard to handle. There's so much pressure and so much expectation, and the selfish part of me would be quite happy for things to stop right where they are now... I said to my best friend on the weekend, ‘I kinda don't want it to work in Australia', I want to live here, you know what I mean? I love my life here, I love my friends here, but that's just part of where you go... where the Holy Sprit takes you. It's like the Holy Spirit says, ‘Have you given me your whole life?'. ‘When you prayed, “Here I am, send me”, did you think that I wouldn't answer?'. And then the Holy Spirit rebukes you and you say, ‘Oh, you were right Lord!'. Personally, having a public profile costs you a lot, it costs your family a lot to have to read stuff about you, it costs your friends... it costs you. But then, even last week, I was at the offices of Sony/BMG playing a couple of songs to them, and the person who introduced me said that he'd been talking to one of the other staff earlier, who'd been listening to the album over the weekend. She'd been so moved listening to it that she'd decided to sponsor a child... And I've heard so many stories like that... people deciding to do something... the letters you get... knowing practically the difference it's making to people. I was at a church conference last weekend and someone came up to me and said ‘I listen to your album all the time, and it's brought me back to God'. And so it's about people and hopefully being a vessel for God to invade their lives. That makes it all worth it. I'm so aware it's nothing I can do by effort, but just by going ‘God I'm willing... whatever it takes'. ‘I'm willing to be used by you... I'm willing to throw all this stuff that the world says is important away, for the sake of your name and for the sake of your glory... to be despised for you'.

Comments