"This IS my happy face."

I've recently seen some posters and clothing that show the face of a mastiff with the inscription, "This IS my happy face."

My dad rescues Mastiffs that, for whatever reason, are no longer able to be cared for by their original owners. Sometimes he fosters them. Sometimes he gets so attached, finds compatibility between the dogs, and just keeps them. I think the maximum in his house has been 5 dogs.

The latest addition is Jack. People have often asked me why my brother was named Jeff instead of Jack, thinking the play on names would have been funny. I've often thought I should seek out a Jack Hill to marry, again cause life should have more humour in it.

As it is, I now have a new brother named Jack who lives in Florida with my dad. I hear he's livening up the place. Look at his face!

Truth of the story: Don't judge a dog by the look on his face. He may be perfectly happy.

Truth #2: Slobber happens.

Truth #3: Beauty is definitely in the eye of the smitten.

Truth #4: Dogs are often easier to get along with than people.

Truth #5: Traveling as I am right now, a Mastiff would not be a good companion in the car.

Truth #6: Mastiffs love cheese puffs!

Comment and add a truth to the list. Nothing about cats, please.

Comments

Jill said…
Many people comment on Conversations@Intersections on Facebook so I thought I'd copy
them over this time. How'd a dog get more comments than most anything else I write about??

Truth #7: I don't know about Mastiffs, but Labs love leather (shoes will do but it's even better when there's something crunchy like i-pods and IDs inside the leather--yum!)

Truth #8: Dogs are wonderful. Big dogs are wonderfuller. The bigger, the better. All the Mastiffs I've known have been big, mushy love bugs. The people across the street have two hugable giants. How can anyone resist that sweet face and those soulful eyes?

I'm good with Truth #4 today! They can't talk back!

Truth # 9 Two are no more work than one so you might as well AT LEAST always have two.