Painful Inventions & Lessons

Life teaches us so much.

I would never have known about an incline board to stretch calf muscles if I had not been told I had Plantar Fasciitis. Limping is inelegant. I'm wearing sensible shoes and shopping less. I use those nana scooters in the big stores and . . . well, I've always found parking spots near the door because I usually look for them.

But just look at the things you can get to torture your muscles! Who knew? And why am I not inventing such clever things? OK, that one thing the guy is standing on is crazy. I'd fall off and hurt myself, but the other folding gadget . . . well, a dear man in Kentucky made me one out of plywood. It has a fixed 33% incline and has a homemade feel that I prefer over the plastic.

I can either leave it behind with another sufferer when I return to New Zealand, or possibly donate it as a book end, small shelf or firewood.

Without this painful feet experience I would not know how obnoxious the back-up beepers are on those electric scooters the stores provide. I'd also not know the kindness of some other shoppers who offered to help me reach things. I've also had the encouragement of many other sufferers, massages and kindness of many sorts.

Oh, I'm not happy about having my wings clipped, not going to King's Island, missing zoo visits, dreading long walks to football fields and avoiding some gardens I might have otherwise visited. I've missed heaps of geocaches! I still have a large conference to attend in November and those halls and hallways will seem interminable and the floors way too hard. I'll limp among the old-timers and be embarrassed!

But then, ya know, my limitations are just that, and they are very likely limited to this season of my life. This too shall pass. Complaining won't help, so I try not to. Feeling sorry for myself is just plain dumb, so I don't. I prefer to live and learn, gain perspective and be grateful.

Most days I win, but the limping does make me look like someone's overused nag on uneven ground.

Comments