Maturity is long sighted

Painting is so much more satisfying than ministry, well, in the short run it is. When I finish painting a room or a wall, I stand back and say, "Wow, look at the difference!"

You can see the result! Everything is fresh and clean and bright. There's a sense of accomplishment.

With ministry, or teaching or nearly any people oriented helping profession, there's often a lag time, a gap between the planting and the harvesting. With much of what I do there's a need for hope and patience and perseverance.

While I find great significance and meaning in what I do, sometimes I temporarily think of returning to painting for the immediacy of the satisfaction. But then, like mowing the grass or taking out the rubbish, some refurbishments need to be done repeatedly and are not permanent or eternal.

Comments