I gave the "Why?" but not the "What?"

I was kicking myself after a presentation, driving home and telling myself all the things I should have said. I called my dad for the company and perspective. A public speaker and consultant himself, he often has useful and insightful advice.

He said, "Some of my best talks were the ones I gave as I drove home after a presentation."

That sure fit my situation. I had been factual, answering questions as yet unasked, but not connecting on an emotional level with my audience at all. I hadn't provided the "Why?" only the "What?" and had left empty handed and frustrated. Phooey.

While I know it is not all about me and how I perform, I also knew I had not done my best and that I'd do things differently next time.

At this point, that's the best I can do. Live and learn.

Comments