A Place to Lay My Head

While I try to schedule so I'm not staying only one night in any place, it sometimes happens.
I have fine tuned the necessities to be carried in each night. I'm grateful to be traveling primarily by car, so I can have surplus items readily available without carrying it all on my back. I like seasons of transience, but it's difficult to look good for meetings and events when traveling too simply.

When asked recently what one item was of constant use or comfort, I first thought of laptop or bag, of Bible or gadget. As it turns out, my travel memory foam pillow is my silent consistent companion. While Jesus oft had no where to lay His head, I can be sure of that one constant no matter which hotel or home I stop in.

Funny that. I used to scoff at those who would be so particular. Judge not lest you too crave creature comforts one day!

Yes, I always have a book handy, and usually reading glasses. Yes, my phone is nearly always at hand for calendar, alarm, camera or communication, but my pillow has become my nightly companion, sometimes of 6 or more hours at a time.

So, nothing profound or needing power, but a cloth covered cushion of comfort that cradles my head each night, allowing me to think I'm at home, as long as my eyes are closed.

Comments