Kentucky Back Roads, but not the Bourbon Trail

In small towns in Kentucky where I often do not have wifi or high speed access to the internet, so please be patient with my sporadic posting here.

Thank you.

As I've been driving around the backroads of this part of the country I've wondered if any politicians in Washington have ever been here. Many of their policies seem to make no sense here. I drove past drying barns full of tobacco. I drove past places where they raise fighting cocks. The fights are illegal in the US, but anyone can raise a field full of cocks, each tethered to their own upended barrel with a small entry for shelter. They are purchased here in KY, driven cross country and set upon each other in Mexico with much betting and noise.

I visited Civil War cemeteries today and read the signs describing the events of the time. Seemingly a world away from me driving past listening to an audio book on my iPod plugged in to the electronics of the car.

Did you know bourbon is made primarily from corn and that there are 8 well known distilleries in Kentucky? I didn't.

The invention of bourbon is often attributed to a pioneering Baptist minister and distiller named Elijah Craig. I've just missed the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Bardstown, KY. It ended today. Can I drive up there in time . . . . maybe . . . .

But I'm actually in a moist county right now. You can buy alcohol here but only with a meal. Other counties are wet or dry and you can figure out for yourself what those designations mean.

I was in Adair County earlier today. It's moist now too, I think. Went over to Ol' Joe's Breast & Butts Que, a BBQ place open only 44 days of the year. They serve on site on the 1st & 3rd Friday & Saturdays of every month except February when they're in Florida. Joe Barbee's mama is best friends with my friend Frances. In fact, they went to school together until there was a contest to see who had the best ankles and old Joe Russell didn't like other guys lookin' at his beloved's legs. Her legs might not be much to look at today, but she and old Joe came in for some BBQ today too. I bought 12 bottles of the sauce for Christmas presents.

Fascinating bits of history I pick up when I travel. Problem is, round here, folks are such good storytellers you don't care much whether they're tellin' the truth or not.

Comments