Integrity: Doctrine or Love? Yes.

A question was presented to me in a conversation today, and then I was asked, "Well, am I right or wrong?"
I wanted to answer, "Yes." or "Both."
I did not answer in that way as to do so would have been fruitless, and fruit is very much at the heart of the issue.

To be right in your thinking, but wrong in your heartsos to be far from what Jesus both taught and modeled. He wove love in to His teaching and teaching into His love. I must endeavour to do so as well.
I can be oh so right, and oh so wrong at the same time.

Just as with many ailments, a diagnosis of the core problem is only possible after the fact, or after a casualty. I can not see into the heart of a person and cut to the chase the way Jesus could. He knew the underlying reasons or motives for a person's question or action.

As I've quoted before "Have you ever seen a motive? No, only the action or word of a person, but not the motive behind it. Therefore you cannot judge motive, but only respond to what you can see." -a loose paraphrase of a Don Blanchard comment.

So, I listen to the doctrinal debates. Questions are put to me. Advice is sought. The fact that I am in and out of various venues across the US right now means I can say all kinds of things . . . and then leave town! But that would not reflect my motives well nor would it contribute to the achievement of my objectives (2 Peter 3:9; Colossians 1:28-29).

I am often confused as to why my opinion is sought. I know neither more not less than most and have the same access to the Bible as those who seek my perspective. I think that is the very thing I bring to the conversations, perspective. Because my experience of God is not within one country or one culture, because my worldview includes the benefit of the wisdom literature of other people groups and because I have wrestled with common, and uncommon, themes in uncommon contexts, maybe my perspective is of value.

Maybe too, as I am likely to leave town tomorrow, my questioners can possibly add my points to their cause if I agree and exclude me if I don't agree, seeing as I won't be around to know either way.

So, the arena of debate will not prove nearly as much as an orchard of sweet and juicy fruit that blesses, energizes, and drips off our elbows. I often talk about how ministry, and life, is often messy.

Doctrine is meant to be tidy, to categorize and systematize what is often confusing. Ok, but the love of Christ is far more useful to a wounded heart. Again I think the answer is "Both."

Comments