Putting Words in God's Mouth?

  • "Well her kids are telling her she has no faith if she thinks he's really going to die."
  • "If you are faithful and truly believe, then God will heal you!"
  • "Why would God cause such a thing?"
  • "Why me?"
People make all kinds of comments and ask all kinds of questions when faced with the hard realities of life, and death. Who is making the comment or asking the question has a lot to do with my approach to answering or responding.

My encounter with a malignant melanoma late in '08 gave me an interesting perspective, a different one than I might get reading the "What to say in Pastoral Care Situations" books. Besides, I always found the section on "What NOT to say" more helpful.

Well intentioned and generous people told me that I'd done too much good in this world and that God wasn't done with me yet, so surely I wasn't going to die of cancer.

I gently responded that cancer is no respecter of persons and that we are all going to die of something. I quietly suggested that they should not claim promises God had not actually made and that it really had little to do with my faithfulness, my faith or whether I held potential for more good if I should remain here.

My responses were greeted with all kinds of shock, rebuttals and tut tuts. I'd imagine some went away praying for my faith too, which is not at all a bad thing.

My experience was nothing like being opened up, radiated and flushed with chemicals that we hope will do more good than harm. My ordeal was relatively simple, though my surgeon would chide me for speaking in the past tense as I have years of tests and close monitoring before he'll give me the all-clear.
If one of those tests someday returns unwanted results, will I change my tune and my tone?

This week I was informed of a friend with lung cancer, a man with a brain tumour and a dear friend's sister's battle. Recently I celebrated the life of a good friend who's body was riddled with cancer and I know of another diagnosis and battle that has totally changed the focus of a family.

Q: What did these people do wrong to deserve such suffering?
Q: Where is God in all of this?
Q: Does He still heal?

A: Nothing. No cause & effect.
A: In the middle, or as much in the middle as we'll allow Him to be.
A: Yes.

Q: Not that simple?
A: Yes & No.

God does not promise His followers that life will be simple, easy or without the same corrupting influences every other human being faces. Who do we think we are to try to live above the suffering common to man?

God does not promise we will never die or, if we do, that it'll be pain free and dignified.

Look at Jesus, for logic's sake, or at His disciples, or His faithful followers in developing countries. Reconcile our comfy and coddled approach with that of the Suffering Saviour, with that of His martyrs who died courageously to entertain or light the gardens of the Romans, or of the missionaries who suffered from malaria, dysentery or misunderstanding in remote places around the globe.

Those of us who believe should claim God's promises and look to Him as Healer, but let's claim only promises He's actually made to us. It's not really fair to Him to do otherwise.

Besides, what happens to the faith of those who anticipate God's physical healing here on earth only to find that their loved one still dies? What happens to those who are frustrated by dodgy distorted theology that does not deliver because it is not backed up by God in the first place?

It's really not fair to frustrate people who are suffering and then pull the rug out from under them in Jesus' name.

Comments? I welcome the conversation, even we don't agree on it all.

Comments

Woven and Spun said…
Amen!
Where is God?
As close as you'll allow him to be.
He's crying with you.
He's hating the disease/suffering/situation as much as you.
He's teaching and guiding you.
And finally, no matter what gets you in the end, he's welcoming you into his place.
He's got you covered there!
No more of that pain and suffering stuff.
Just peace.
Denise said…
I finally found your blog. I just had a conversation very similar to this in Sunday School. It's good to read your perspective too.