Leaders Listen, or find no one talking to them anymore

Andy Stanley's Tweet was quoted by my friend Larry Marshall on Facebook. I thought I'd include it here on blogger too, not just to be inclusive of various forms of tech comm, but also cause it is true.

A leader who refuses to listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing important to say~Andy Stanley RT@catalystleader

I know leaders like this, who do not listen. They often don't even know the names of their people, let alone listen to them.

I also know leaders who lean in when they listen and then give credit to their people when a good idea turns in to a good service or product.

A young friend was going down to Mexico one summer to facilitate short term teams as they built houses. He was second guessing himself wondering if that was the best way to prepare for youth ministry, . . . or maybe he should have found a church to serve in instead.

I suggested he get a notebook and create some categories for observations over the summer.
Each youth minister or leader who brought a team down would be my friend's mentor for the week, without even knowing it.

I suggested he write down the things he liked about the leader's leadership style.
Notice how the team responded to the leader. Notice how the leader delegated, or dumped, on the support team. Notice how the young people interacted with the leader, or not. Notice where credit was given, where affirmation or discipline was given, where there was conversation.

Each leader had an opportunity to teach my young friend what to do or what not to do, in leadership Both are valuable ways to learn, but the negative way is harder on the group, and ultimately the church, the project, the community and the individual.

Comments