Journaling: to Improve my Writing or Improve Myself?

Do you journal?
Want to?
Think you should?
Why?

I have intermittently over the years. If anyone were to ever get a glimpse into my life, they'd have to have a team of people trolling through several journals linking together the random threads. Why don't I start and continue in one nice book? Why do I write some in that one and then something else elsewhere? Ahhh. An editor's nightmare! But so are all my InBoxes. Check out my Facebook, Gmail or Xtra InBox and you'll see that I've saved messages to go back and reference things later . . . rather than labeling or filing or copying and archiving properly.

Anyway, enough confessions of chaos o the move. Creative people are often like that and we add variety to life! So there.

Kathryn on Real Words writes this helpful post. The links themselves are a gold mine, but first consider why you might want to journal. That will determine much as you push ahead.

I am someone who believes in the power of keeping a journal. I got my first diary when I was about ten years old and have kept one fairly steadily since that time. Although I’ve gone through bouts of not writing for awhile, I always return to keeping a journal because I believe that it benefits me immensely as both a writer and an

individual.

Some of the top benefits that I’ve experienced as a result of keeping a journal:

  • The many benefits of a daily routine. I believe that having daily rituals helps us to get up and get going in the morning. My morning routine starts my day off right and helps me feel like I’m on track with things. Journaling is one part of that routine for me.
  • The power of self-reflection. I think that all people, particularly writers, need time to reflect on life and on themselves every single day. It’s hard to do that when we have so many obligations and distractions, Journaling returns us to ourselves day in and day out.
  • Unjudged writing practice. I am trying to get in the habit of not judging any of my writing but rather just letting it happen. This isn’t always easy but I’m able to do it with my journal. As a writer, I think this daily period of

    unjudged writing time is important.
  • A collection of my thoughts. It’s been important for me to have this collection of my thoughts. There are memories that I forget but can then access again in my journals. There are patterns of behavior that I only see when I re-read my journals. There are characters and projects that I thought of in passing that I revive when reminded of them by my journals.

I’m not the only one who believes that a journal offers many benefits. Take a look at some thoughts other people have posted on the benefits of journaling:

Surely we can all get something out of journaling. Do you journal? Does it help your writing? What has been the great benefit?"

Just thinking, as I too read through Kathryn's post, is my journaling more a conversation with myself, with those who may eventually read it, with God or . . . ? In addition to improving my writing, maybe journaling could even be a vent for those conversations I'd like to have but can't for whatever reason. All in all, journaling is something I want to do, but I don't think anyone should should us into to doing much of anything.

Comments