Travel Essentials

When you travel by air, what essentials are always in your bag?

Travel by air is different than throwing things in the back of the car and taking off. In a car, you can take more than necessary, an extra of a few things and the family -size shampoo & conditioner.

I have a toiletry case permanently packed. Why rethink all of that every time? I have super leak proof containers, just the right size to see me through about two weeks on the road. I have basic "what if...?" kinda things as in safety pins, a sewing kit and basic first aid items.

I have been called MacGyverette. I prefer Lady MacGyver. gadgets are good and people can mock me all they want, but who do they call when they're in a pickle? Hmmm.

I usually take air freshener and or a candle. Never know when I'm going to end up in a stinky room and I'll need to mask it. I even have a plastic vase that folds down flat. If I stay in a room for more than 2 nights, I tend to get fresh flowers to add a bit of class and colour.

I often have snacks, maybe some microwave popcorn or something, and I usually take my own tea bags just in case the hotel has skimped on the important things.

Of course I take the undergarments, outer garments, books, etc.

I put all cords and chargers in a zipper bag so they are all together when I need them. A deck of cards is good or bag of Scrabble tiles for speed Scrabble.

A Leatherman tool, torch/flashlight and duct tape are often handy too. I roll duct tape on to a spindle to make it more compact. The big cardboard roll it come son is too bulky for travel.

I pack in modules too, often using zippered cases that keep like things together. Especially useful on long journeys when organisation relieves frustration.

I usually have some envelopes with me too. They come in handy when sorting receipts or paperwork, or sending something "home" or to a friend. Of course I have a pen in every pocket, the kind that don't mind changes in pressure as can happen in baggage compartments of planes.

What about you? Come on! What can you not travel without?

Comments

Woven and Spun said…
You forgot to mention your pillow!
I like to have ibuprofen with me at all times. It helps me cope without my pillow . . .