Suicide, Marijuana and . . . Text in Your Questions

From Pete Wilson's Without Wax Blog.

So this past Sunday we concluded the Q series by allowing our Cross Point attenders to text in their questions. The questions were presented to me live to answer with no preparation.

I got asked some of the toughest questions I’ve ever been asked. From questions about homosexuality, suicide, and dinosaurs to marijuana and masturbation. Funny how you can put together a pretty good answer to some of these questions when you’re sitting at the table with your friends and have about 30 minutes to talk through them. I found out it’s a lot more difficult when you have 3 seconds and you’re starring at hundreds of people.

I’ve had friends ask, “Why did you do it this way? You know if you knew what questions were coming you could have prepared and give a very polished answer.” Well, this forum really wasn’t about the answers for me. Now don’t get me wrong. I’m a pastor that loves God’s Word and believes there’s important answers to be found for most of these questions. However, sometimes we focus so much on the answer that we begin to belittle the questions. We make people feel “less than” if they have questions about faith and life.

My prayer all day was not that I would answer all the questions correctly. My prayer is that people would see that while questions are important we don’t need to feel like we have to have all the answers to them to have faith. I want them to see that we shouldn’t be afraid of the questions. Even the ones we don’t have great answers for. We can still live a vibrant faith for Christ in the midst of the questions and in the midst of the doubts.

To say I sweat a lot would be an understatement. While I wish I could have another stab at a few of these questions I think the day turned out pretty good, but I’ll let you be the judge of that. The questions from all 4 services were combined into this one video.

Comments