Mutual Influence


I sit and listen to a tall dark African man speak about God in a thick accent that some in the audience cannot understand. They grab a word here and there, but the intonation is different, making familiar words sound exotic.

Some in this crowd have lived most of their adult lives in Hong Kong, Columbia, Chile, Portugal or various countries of Africa. Many of the attendees are from small to medium sized cities of the states of Indiana and Ohio. Most of this crowd would do better than most Americans in trivia quizzes as to countries and cultures of the world, yet may not have traveled much or far. It’s an odd mix really.

Every year for 75 years people have gathered at this lakeside camp in Northern Indiana to pray that the hope Jesus offers is made known to all people in every culture. You may or may not agree with their agenda, may not identify with their faith, may not understand their worldview, but I think you’d like most of these people. They are the real thing. Many of them have simple needs, laugh easily and are generous in spirit.

When I am overseas, living outside my country of origin, I am a foreigner, betrayed by my accent and often labeled with a stereotype that fits me not at all. When I am in my home country, I am again a foreigner because I have been exposed to a variety of foods, languages, experiences and ideas that have stretched me and enriched me.

Here, at this lakeside camp I am relatively normal. I am accepted, included. People are interested in my travels and experiences; asking intelligent questions and then waiting for the answer.

The man on stage serves in a church in Harare, a church one of our old men grew and built a building for. This tall man is both the result and the means of God’s love and hope at work in Africa. He is the answer to prayer, and now supported in prayer, as he continues what others started.

The tall African man still speaks and the people lean forward to understand better. They laughed just now at his joke and they await the kernel of truth, of insight they can gain from a man from a far away country.

reciprocality: a relation of mutual dependence or action or influence

reciprocity: The social norm of reciprocity is the expectation that people will respond to each other in similar ways -- responding to gifts and kindnesses from others with similar benevolence of their own, and responding to harmful, hurtful acts from others with either indifference or some form of retaliation.

Comments