Laundromat Fellowship

Went to a laundromat yesterday.
I only needed to do two half loads, but the emphasis there should be on the need and not the quantity. Traveling light necessitates washing clothes more often.

Hmm. 75 cents for soap powder.
75 cents for s softener dryer sheet.
$1.50 for each load of washing, so $3 there.
25 cents for 6 minutes of dryer time. I like to hang my clothes outside, but that would require attaching them to the antennae of the car and driving between the bugs on the highway, so I paid for 18 minutes of drying time.

The people sharing the space with me looked like locals. They seemed to know each other and were friendly. I overheard some of their conversation. One lady had been in a car crash when someone pulled out in front of her at an intersection. Another lady who used to work there had been fired. No one seemed sorry about that. She must not have been friendly and so was not missed.

There were carts with a rail overhead for hanging clothes on hangers. I remember the same design when I was a kid, I guess you can't improve on it much.

Seats were scattered at convenient places amongst the big machines, but then there was a lounge area at the far end. People who do their laundry here regularly meet on the same night each week. A task is the catalyst for their gatherings, but they then make the most of it by sharing the space, engaging in conversation and eating together. Advice on common problems is shared and a network develops. Over time they find they have much in common and they support each other in the challenges of life.

In churches we often talk about the lost being found and saved. I love this lost sock photo I saw online. I'm a sock snob so losing a sock would be serious business to me.

Got a name to attach to laundromat community?

God may not feature as much more than an expletive, so this isn't necessarily a faith community, but goodwill features large and belonging is obvious.
It's almost like it's the Fellowship of the Revolving Drums, which reminds me of the Fellowship of The Ring and those who were part of it.
Frodo will need his friends. And you will need yours. You must cling to those you have, you must search far and wide for those you do not yet have. You must not go alone. From the beginning, right there in Eden, the Enemy’s strategy has relied upon a simple aim: Divide and conquer. Get them isolated, and take them out.

Dorothy takes her journey with the Scarecrow, the Tinman, the Lion, and of course, Toto. Prince Caspian is joined by the last few faithful Narnians, and together they overthrow the wicked king Miraz. . . . . and of course, Jesus had the Twelve. This written so deeply on our hearts: You must not go alone. The Scriptures are full of such warnings . . . John Eldredge, in Waking the Dead


Have a similar example of community?
Playgroups? Little League moms? Traveling league teams or squads?

Laundromat Jokes--
- I hate using the public laundromat, because it's always full of freaks.
There's the Naked People, washing their one set of clothes;
the Friendly People, who won't stop talking to you;
the Folders, who get all anal about folding everything.
Oh, and worst of all are the Dryer-Lint Nuts, who have
to throw every last bit of their dryer lint away.
What do they care if I collect their lint and take it home?

- I'm not a big fan of video games, but there's this one arcade
nearby that I love. I'm really good at this one game:
it costs a buck, and if you win, your clothes get washed.
I can't seem to figure out their other game, though.

Comments

jaybhorn said…
Angela (Foust) Richards mentioned that you might be visiting Indiana this summer. Debbie and I would love to see you, if you do....