How to get in?

As I came through the Customs process at Auckland International Airport, the official saw that I had written CHAPLAIN in the EMPLOYMENT field on the form. Immediately, without preamble or hesitation, she said, "I need to go to church more."

After a day of airports and a long flight, I wasn't quite ready for this, but went with the conversation as she started it.

"Why would you want to do that?" I asked.
"Well, I know I should," she said.
"If it is out of your love for Jesus, then by all means. If it is out of a legalistic obligation that will make you think you are earning enough points or ticking all the right boxes, don't bother." Her surprised look made me continue. "It's about Jesus. If what you do flows from your relationship with Him, then it will be satisfying and have meaning. If it is about 'shoulds and oughts' then that is religion and quite a hard burden to carry."

"Oh! Thanks for that. I suppose you're right. Welcome home!" she said with a smile as she stamped my passport and handed it back.

I went through to collect my bags.

Comments