Foreigner: Real American

I've been a foreigner for many years now.
Being foreign can be exhausting.
My Zimbabwean driver's licence even lists me as an Alien.

As an outsider, I try to inform my self as to the history, the culture and the collective perspective of the country or culture within which I am living. I seek out things to celebrate about the culture, distinctives that might help me understand and appreciate it, individuals or accomplishments that standout.

It is rude to walk in to someone's home and point out all the flaws, the things you don't like, the things you might change. So it is with someone's country or culture. Listen, observe, learn. Sift out the good and the best and blow the chaff away, if at all possible. Then emphasis the commonalities, not the points of difference and get on with life!

I've been told that I'm not a real American.
The source of that opinion makes a big difference as to how I accept it. I was once told I was not a real American by a boy I had hosted here in NZ. He was politically inclined though not broadminded. When challenged to explain, it came out that he didn't even vote in US elections! I make great efforts to participate by absentee ballot and yet here was this upstart telling me I wasn't a real American! It's a wonder I didn't throttle him across the dinner table!

I've also been told that by non-Americans. I think they meant it as a compliment, as in I wasn't like the stereotyped Americans that might be found in some movies; loud, know-it-alls, myopic and brash. Hmm. I can be loud, as can Kiwis and Aussies. I know what I know but think questions are much more valuable. Myopic? Nope, couldn't have survived if I stayed that way. Brash? Not if I can help it, tho I too often have an attitude to match the one with which I am faced. Jesus is no where near done with me! Phil 2:5

I have friends who first liked me because I was American and others who almost didn't even give me a chance because I was American. People around the world read the headlines, watch the TV shows and movies out of Hollywood and think that that is what all of America is. I try to explain that I had never even been to California before 1999 when I moved to NZ and CA was on the way! Most of what is seen on TV is entertainment for much of real America because it is novel, far removed from their everyday reality. It is exaggerated, sensationalised, glamourised. Most people don't want to watch a life like their own!

Yes, I'm an American and possibly more patriotic for having lived outside my home country for these many years than if I'd stayed home. I'm from the middle of the US, not too far North or too far South. Not East or West, but what is called the Mid-West. It was named thus by those in the East as the settlers pushed further West, seeking space, opportunity and land. One of my housemates is from the State of Washington. She sees nothing at all West about Indiana!

The fifty stars on the flag represent the fifty U.S. states
and the thirteen stripes represent the original thirteen colonies
that rebelled against the British Crown and became the first
states in the Union.


I have an accent that has been softened by years of living overseas as an expatriate, but it gives away my origins and I don't try to hide that. Funny thing is, when I'm in the US, people get confused and think I sound foreign. It might be as much the words I use or intonation as accent, but it means I'm somewhat foreign wherever I am.

I vote. That gives me the right to comment or complain, to feel like a participant in the shaping of the government. I don't have to like everything my government does or defend it in every case. I do have to defend the right to hold different opinions. Who, in which country, approves of every decision, action or stance of their government?

The 4th of July is on most calendars. It is a holiday only in one country. The rest of the world gets up and gets on with their normal stuff on that day, whatever day of the week it falls on. [Same with Thanksgiving Day. It's just another Thursday in November to the rest of the world.]

Americans celebrate July 4th. Some have forgotten what they are celebrating. It's really not about the hot dogs, the fireworks or the festivals. It is about freedom, opportunity and justice.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I have some theories on American patriotism. I'm not sure if they are valid or if they'll hold water at all. They are my theories based on my experience of living overseas most of these past 25 years. I'll see if I can articulate them in the days to come and will appreciate your constructive criticism as I attempt comparisons and analysis.

Comments

Woven and Spun said…
With no prejudice either way, I love you because you are a "real" American (& to be honest, I love America due to my incredibly positive experiences there), & I love you because you don't act or have attitudes that are US-centric, so in that way you're not a "septic tank" as Americans can be called here in Oz! So it appears to me that you are the best type of American!! But even better than that, you're my friend & I just love you : )