Chili with Caching Crowd

Had friends over for dinner last night. I made two huge pots of chili.
They were geocaching friends I've met over the past year and a half. Often we meet on a rarely used track/trail enroute to find something one of the other of us had hidden and posted coordinates for. Last night, I had given them the coordinates for my house so they could find it using their GPSr. Street addresses and landmarks work too, but for this lot, technology gets them where they want to go.

Everyone brought something to contribute to the meal. The theme was chili related as it is cold in New Zealand right now. The fire and the conversation warmed up the lounge quite well.
We spoke of software and maps, PDAs and GPSs, Pocket Queries and GSAK. Don't worry. It's all quite a different language but we understand it.

Laughter filled the room and people shared tips and advice, what's worked for them and what hasn't. People compared stories about finding, or attempting different caches. There was a bit of gossip, but it was nipped short and people's reputations were left intact.

The group in my home represented a type of community centred around a common passion or interest. Some had been participating for several years. Some were as new as justa few months. The more experienced helped the newbys, as it should be.

It was great, but, even with 16 people in my home, I was left with a pot and a half of chili, some cake & salad. I like having a place that is comfortable and where people can feel at home. Hospitality is to welcome people, not to entertain. This lot entertained themselves just fine!

A different crowd of friends are coming over tomorrow.

Comments

Sonia said…
Well I have to say great Chili, fantastic people and amazing conversations had during the night! Highlight for me would absolutely be the CHILI!!