Remember the Sacrifice

One of the Stations of the Cross at Hamilton Gardens during Easter Week was a field of crosses, systematically placed in rows with lights throwing dramatic shadows.

I walked past part of this exhibit with a friend and then looked up to see the whole of it!

The poppies told us who the crosses represented; all of those who died in the cause of freedom.

I am repeatedly humbled by such displays, such reminders, by the sacrifice, the atrocities I cannot begin to imagine. I cry at Veteran Day events, ANZAC parades & ceremonies, and historical memorials. I read through the books of names in Scotland and saw far too many Shaws. I've been to Arlington Cemetary and the Vietnam Memorial. I'll honour ANZAC Day again this year on Piha Beach at Lion Rock with a lone bagpiper playing his soulful tune over the waves.

What got us, though, at the Hamilton Gardens exhibit, was that all the crosses were placed in rows that made a wedge shape that pointed to a large cross at the end. That cross had no poppy on it. It was proportionately much larger than all the others and stood in stark contrast to the night sky. It was breath taking. That cross summed it all up.

Jesus said, "And I, as I am lifted up from the earth,
will attract everyone to me and gather them around me."
He put it this way to show how he was going to be put to death.

The Message, John 12:32-33

Comments

Sonia said…
Yes, this is the one that I will remember for some time, how we all can connect in some way! Brilliant.