Taking Care of Busyness

There was a time when I carried technology in my bag. Really. I had my camera, my iPod, a Palm PDA, a phone, a torch/flashlight . . . etc . . . . No wonder I have a knot in my shoulder muscles on the opposite side from where I carry that bag!

So I got clever and was trying to figure out how to eliminate items. Well, not wanting to splash out for an iPhone when I have perfectly good individual items, I thought I could at least use my phone to double as a PDA. It has an alarm clock and a calendar that can be set up to beep 15-30 minutes before my next appointment. It has Reminder, Memo & Note features. Not bad for a little flip phone!

So, for nearly a year, I've been running my life out of that little device. Or has that little device been running me? A better question; why was I running? Do you ever read of Jesus running?

While my little system was compact it lacked a feature that my grandmother's generation had the advantage of. When you write on a big wall calendar you can see what else is there already. You can see preceding and following days. You can see if you already have more than enough on a specific day or that maybe you've not had a day at home in a while.

A huge wall calendar and a pencil is a great system for taking care of busyness! You don't have to carry cords around or recharge it. It's not going to run out of juice or get dropped.

You see, my phone's little screen didn't allow me to see the big picture. It minimised things in such a way that I just kept adding things in. Some days were like a marathon or a steeplechase, events I'm not at all prepared for, let alone trying to maintain that pace several days per week.

The work I do is people intensive and I'm an introvert. Yes, I know that will surprise readers who actually know me, but I get my energy from being alone. Then, once energised, I'm thrilled to be with people and usually in the middle of whatever's going on. What's happened though is that, because I was not managing my time well, I was getting depleted. Trying to respond to too many needs means that I run out of the energy needed to respond!

So, two simple and low tech solutions presented themselves: get control of my schedule and choose to say No! It's not that I want to say No to people, it's that I need to for my own well being and so as to give people my best when I am with them.

That's a hard call sometimes. It's in conversations, through unrushed stories of where a person is, that relationships grow and trust develops. It's over calm cups of tea that people feel safe to discuss their burdens or struggles. That is what I do. You can call it coaching, discipling, accompanying, mentoring.

In doing that I have often longed for better discernment, for wisdom, for intuition, so as to hear well and understand. That longing seems to have been primarily other focused. I also need to apply those to my own schedule and life.


If it's just a matter of more rest or more time, I could cut out lots of fun stuff or casual time with friends. That will not replenish my inner reserves. I crave laughter and the company of friends, especially some of those who are far away.

Much of this disclosure about my full schedule is not news. It's been a topic of conversation among friends and family on my whirlwind trips to the US. There's never been a question as to whether I try to earn my salary. I want to be known as someone who works hard and does her best. As in any life, circumstnces and situations often require much of us. Life is just like that but, as a doctor told me a few years ago, I'm not a spring chicken anymore. How dare he? He was suggesting that just because I was not married and have no children, I didn't need to maintain such a full schedule just because I could.

Anyway, this will not be the most eloquent post on this blog. It's more a public discussion of a topic very much in my sights so as to not allow myself to ignore the changes I need to make.

What ideas do you have for managing YOUR life and not allowing others to manage it for you? Those of you who are married or with children often do not have veto power over your schedule. How do you manage? How do you refill your tanks?

I'd be thrilled to have comments, suggestions and links that have been useful to you. I've gotta run now. Car's going in for a service this AM and I have appointments with a young lady who wants to be a missionary in Thailand and another student who is homesick and then there's . . . .

Comments

Quote Collector said…
"Old Fasioned" is more than an attitude. Often it is the better way.

I'm not from your Grandmother's generation, but I STILL find the paper calandar to be best for me. In my generation, people used the pocket "Day Timer" to keep track of appointments.

Call me Old Fasioned, but whatever works. Right? Rest is good!
Rachael said…
I resort to a diary, and lists - prioritised lists, when I start to get overwhelmed. And there have been a few times in my life (not many) when I've made a choice to say 'let me think about that' to EVERY offer that I've been presented with. I forbid myself to say 'Yes' to anything - just for a few days or weeks. I can still go back and say 'yes', but it's not allowed to be my first response. That's sometimes given me the space I need to see how often I'm saying yes, and to choose between different options. Usually a few day or a week of not saying yes is enough to let me find my balance again (though I have to say, I'm not sure my 'balance' is all that great!)
On the flip side, there's been a couple of times in my life when I've decided to say 'yes!' then deal with the consequences. That's always been in response to noticing that I turn everything down.
Both dynamics have been interesting, useful, and temporary! Good luck finding something(s) that work for you!
Woven and Spun said…
This.
How to get head space on the days you need it when you home school your children & they are irritable & yelling at you! How do you not yell back?
Sometimes you just do anyway & then there are 3 kids in the mix instead of 2!
I feel much better & less childish when I act like an adult seeking to be like Jesus!
Even the Son of God took time out. But now He's desperate for some alone time because I'm bugging Him so much!!!
Let's bug Him together : )