Kayaking Caching Trip on Puhoi River

Jo, Rachael, Jill, Jane, Sonia, Rebecca & Ashleigh. Shirlz was taking the photos!














Don't know if you are interested in photos of my kayaking trip on the Puhoi River last Saturday. Many thanks to those who made it fun and those who made it possible. Transporting kayaks, having the right safety gear and enough snacks are all vital to a good journey!

We went on that day because the tides were right for an easier trip up with the tide and back with the receding tide again. The group was quite large with ages spread from 70's to teens, but we also spread out along the river so we weren't a paddling mob. The trip is about 10 kms/6 miles one way which should take about 2 hours. These particular photos show very little paddling but we got there somehow.

These photo also were taken BEFORE the rain fell, so the smiles are more genuine than later in the journey. Everyone kept great attitudes and it turned from a lovely river cruise to an adventure.

Part of the reason we were going was a chance to be First -To- Find a geocache that is only accessible from the river. Unfortunately, I turned the GPS on a bit late to get it on the way up. Then, the tide was too low to access it on the way out. Phooey! Disappointment is not the word for it!

As we neared the geozone on our return, I took off across the mud flats to get to the cache site and sank up to my knees less than 100 meters from the cache. The team came to the rescue, forming a line to support each other and pulling me out with kayak paddles. Good to have good friends with me at such a time. I never let go of the GPS though, holding it above the water rushing around me and above the mud trying to suck me in! Ha! Sorry we have no photos of that or of me caked in mud!

While I love going for a walk by myself, this was just one time when I realised how dangerous that can be. As I stepped in to the soft spot and started sinking, I tried to push myself up with the other leg. Having torn a muscle attachment in that thigh the week before, it was of little use to me. I was able to keep my balance and stay upright for a while, but then sat in the mud and shallow water as my leg went in deeper. Eventually I was able to pull myself back up to standing and then friends arrived with paddles and brute strength. Angling to get in front of me without sinking themselves, they did great until I popped out. Then I think there were some giggles as I was two-tone; mud from waist down with deeper hues below the knees. Glad I had on old shoes and $35 wool socks! While my rain coat is great for hiking, it was never meant to be a submersible!

Things went from tricky to troublesome as we started paddling back. Some made it afloat, but some bottomed out and had to walk, pulling our kayaks behind us. An ignominious end to the adventure. The end was accompanied by much laughter and little dignity, but we made it, cacheless but with memories of a shared journey.

Comments

Quote Collector said…
Should you girls/ladies be loose on the general public without early warning and notification from the authorities?

It sounds like a fun day with good friends.
Woven and Spun said…
I knew I should have come along!
Glad you didn't drown in the mud.
Although it would have been an adventurous end . . . may have even received news coverage!
Now you know the true sentiment behind the psalm/old hymn: "He pulled me out of the miry clay. He set my feet on the rock to stay. He put a song in my soul to stay. A song of praise hallelujah!"
Ashleigh Nicole said…
hey thanks for putting up proof of my strenuous work out on that beast of a river it's a rather complimentary action shot.