Buns in Coconut Milk @Otara

Just one of the many reasons I enjoy visiting Otara on a Saturday morning is the opportunity to have coconut buns. I also find them at Pasifika, a once yearly festival here in Auckland, but seeing as how I was kayaking the weekend of Pasifika, I made the trip with friends to South Auckland Saturday morning. First stop, the table with styrofoam boxes holding the still warm coconut buns. We weren't too late were we? Stil have some for us? Yes! $5 a tray. "Could I have 5 forks, please?"

We took them outside where I could remove the clear wrap. Then I started dividing each bun so the coconut milk could get inside, coating each bite-sized piece. There were a few skeptical looks. I was secretly hoping they wouldn't like the buns so I could have more. Unfortunately they all liked them and the try of buns didn't last long. Six buns was just enough for the five of us. Here's the recipe. Either call me and we'll go to Otara some Saturday morning or make them yourself and see how it goes. Let me know.

Here's the recipe for Pani Popo: Samoan Coconut Buns

5 3/4 to 6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 package yeast
2 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon shortening, margarine, or butter
1 teaspoon salt

Mix 2 1/2 cups of flour and yeast. In a saucepan heat and stir milk;
sugar; shortening, margarine, or butter; and salt til warm and shortening almost melts. Add to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Using a spoon, stir in as much remaining flour as you can to make a moderately
stiff dough that is smooth and easy to pull - 6-8 minutes.
Put some Crisco shortening on your hands. This will add moisture to
your rolls and make it easier to handle. Shape in a ball and put in a
greased bowl. Turn it on both sides to grease the whole ball of
dough. Cover and let rise in the oven on the top rack and below it in
a pan put some hot water. (The steam from the hot water will help it
to rise) about 45 minutes. Punch dough down.

Roll 18 balls and cover for 10 minutes while you make the following
milk mixture.
Mix 2 cans of coconut milk with 1 cup of sugar. (Add more sugar if
you like it sweeter.) In 2 13x9x2 pans, pour in half of the milk
mixture in each pan, put in 9 bread rolls on top (or you can make the
rolls smaller to make more rolls). Bake at 375 degrees in the oven
for 20 minutes or until bread tests done. Karen Suaava McDonald

Comments

CHERYL said…
Have I eaten a coconut bun with you? I'll try to make them soon...
Rachael said…
There's a hint, if ever I saw one!
Woven and Spun said…
Mmmm. Whilst looking at the picture of the coconut buns Teghan came to show me a drawing. Instead of saying something appropriate I smiled at her & said "yum!". She just gave me a strange look . . .
Gotta get me some of them buns!!