Affectionate, Brave, Good-Humoured: What More Could I Ask For?

"He was the perfect companion for an adventure, affectionate without exuberance, brave without being belligerent, intelligent and full of good-humoured tolerance for my eccentricities. If I slipped when climbing a dew-shiny bank, Roger appeared suddenly, gave a snort that sounded like suppressed laughter, a quick look over, a rapid lick of commiseration, shook himself, sneered and gave me his lopsided grin. If I found something that interested me - an ant's nest, a caterpillar on a leaf, a spider wrapping up a fly in swaddling clothes of silk - Roger sat down and waited until I had finished examining it. If he thought I was taking too long, he shifted nearer, gave it a gentle whiny yawn and then sighed deeply and started to wag his tail."

G. Durrell describing his faith dog, Roger, in My Family And Other Animals.

Comments