Take the Weather With You


Weather With You (Neil Finn/Tim Finn) Lyrics Copyright © 1991 Roundhead Music/Rebel Larynx Music (BMI).

Walking 'round the room singing Stormy Weather at 57 Mt. Pleasant St.
Now it's the same room but everything's different, You can fight the sleep but not the dream

Things ain't cookin' in my kitchen, Strange affliction wash over me
Julius Caesar and the Roman Empire, Couldn't conquer the blue sky

There's a small boat made of china, Going nowhere on the mantlepiece
Do I lie like a loungeroom lizard, Or do I sing like a bird released

Everywhere you go you always take the weather with you


For nearly three decades, Hoosiers relied on Bob Gregory to get them through the best and worst of Indiana weather. Bob anchored "SkyTrak Weather" weeknights at 5 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 6 p.m.,10 p.m. and 11 p.m. on channel 13 Eyewitness News before "semi-retiring" after 28 years in December, 2000.

I used to watch Bob Gregory tell us about the weather in Indiana. He had a good segment of the USA on either side of him as he tried to predict what might happen in Indiana. He used to dress up in as many layers as possible to illustrate to kids how they needed to dress for going outside. Another ad showing a boy who could hardly move for all the clothing! His mom was explaining, "Because Bob Gregory says it's going to be cold!"

For years I have seen the weather maps, some with stationary icons stuck on them and now the digital versions that seem to anticipate the needs of the speaker, but I've never really understood what all those little arrows and H's and L's meant. Am I alone? Do we mostly just rely on what the "suit" says?

Well, I recently visited the NZ Metservice website and they have a page devoted to How to Read the Maps!


If you are in Indiana or Florida or the UK, check out your own nearby Met Service website to see if they are as helpful. USA's NOAA Europe's Euro Weather Africa's Weather Net

Comments

Anonymous said…
I grew up on the weather of Bob Gregory here in Anderson, and his son, Kevin, is now a regular local weather guy.

BTW, I thought of Jill recently when I saw this quote;

"too much agreement kills a chat."
Eldridge Cleaver

Jill probably already has this posted here somewhere!

jay
Jill said…
Uhm, I don't have that quote, but it's good one and fits right in with an upcoming post I'm working on about conversation and listening. Thanks for joining in Jay! happy New Year to you.