Remember Names: Memory Tips




How are you at remembering names? The following are my suggestions with a few links for other tips and tricks. Find what works for you. People are important and their names are somehow a part of them, of their identity, and therefore, important too.

1st thing is you have to want to remember them. Sometimes we just don't concentrate, we don't listen.

2nd thing is to tie the name to the face, to remember something unique or make an association between the name and the person.


3rd. Use the name. Repeat it back to the person in an appropriate context or tell someone else who the person is. Make an introduction.

4th Write it down with a note on something you know about the person.

I meet lots of people. I remember more than I forget, but I'm still not as good as I'd like to be. The hardest thing is when I meet someone again but in a different context than the initial contact! Ahhh!

Dr. David Eubanks, a man I hugely respect, was superb at remembering names no matter where he met the person again. A gift, but a gift I think he works hard at getting right.

Read more about names and how to remember them. How to Remember People's Names.

Oh, another thing I often do is to visualise the name written out. Works for me.

LifeHacker's tips & comments.

eHow's article.

See also Conversations@Intersections post on Odd Names

Comments