A New Year: Take stock or just carry on?

Is this a pivotal time of year for you or do you have more of a sense of milestone around your birthday or the end of a term?

When do you revisit your goals and plans and evaluate, according to standards of your own choosing, how you're going?

I seem to do that more around my birthday in February.

Teachers & students often do so at the end of a term and businesses at the end of the financial year.

Do you have goals, plans?

What if you were told you might have 5 years to live, and probably not all of those good years?

How would you look at your life thus far?
How would you hope the next few years might unfold?
Where would you go?
What might you hope to accomplish or become?

I'd like to visit Uluru (Ayres Rock) by train & snorkel again on Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
I'd like a season in Europe and a few weeks in Greece.

I'd write.
I'd be more grateful.
I'd take my dad's advice and say the things to people you want them to hear but often only think to say after their gone. It's nice to say nice things to the survivors, but how much better to say it to the one you appreciate. I've found that families often don't understand my comments as they didn't have the same relationship with the one who's gone as what I did.

Have those conversations soon.
Write those notes soon.
Count your blessings soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My dad often said to my mom, "would you make the time to go if it was that persons funeral? Then make the time to say, visit, or do it while they are living." I overheard that enough while I was little, that I took it to heart. I make phone calls, I visit, and I definitely make sure I tell someone how wonderful they are each time they do something I appreciate. My theory is, you never know what the next hour is going to bring, so enjoy and appreciate NOW.

I love keeping in touch with your life this way, Jill.