Kayaking & Geocaching

On Friday I kayaked the Orewa Estuary in the morning and cached Kumeu & Whenuapai in the evening. I can hardly type this as my fingers are so stiff! But I'll remember the laughs and scenery long after the stiffness is gone.

It is good to use different muscles, and to feel them afterwards. Thing is to keep moving! Sitting won't really help the soreness and won't strengthen those muscles for the next time you get up and go.

Kayaking . . . . uhm, salt water splashing up over the front of the kayak because we were making such good time against the waves & into the wind. I was in a two person kayak, up front, where no steering takes place, so I just had to be the breakwater. Another friend was in a single kayak which is designed with holes to allow the water to drain out, but of course, also allows a certain amount in. She was fine when the water she sat in had warmed to body temperature. She certainly noticed when more splashed in!

The friend behind me in the double kayak was the expert. She was cracking up at my poor paddling technique and the fact that I couldn't keep in sync with her strokes. Couldn't see her, could I now?!

We put in as the tide filled the estuary and went up into the mangroves with it. Saw a few gulls riding the waves and a kingfisher took off as we approached. Sun was warm, but we kept our jackets on against the cool of the wind. My neck is a nice shade of reddish tan, but the sunscreen did it's job on knees and arms.

I can see a river trip up to Puhoi needing a bright day and a convenient high tide! See me looking for a cache on a pier.

Then went to get another friend for a trip west to place caches. You've read about my interest in geocaching, how it's a great excuse for a walk when I couldn't find an excuse otherwise. Well, hiding caches has it's own attractions. Less mystery, but a lot of creativity and cunning. After finding over 300 caches, it is only fair that I hide some for others to find. That's how it all started when the satellites were first made available to the average GPS owner.

As you look at a map of the greater Auckland region, there are heaps of caches in the heavily populated areas, but few further out. Well, we set out to fill in a few gaps. One of us had a couple of old ammo cans that were just asking to be hidden. I had some 35mm film canisters for the same purpose. Two very different approaches to hiding a cache, but both have their place and their sense of intrigue. One of my film canisters had been glued to a rock, and old chunk of scoria, and some palm fibre added to soften the look. Can you find it in the photo?

Another canister ended up in a hole in the fork of an old pine tree on Brigham Creek Road. The smaller ammo can nestled in quite nicely in the bottom of a eucalyptus tree in Kumeu. Both are quality hides, though very different in nature, and I hope those who come tofind them will enjoy the hunt.

So that's me. My desk has some paperwork that needs to be done and there's laundry to be folded and put away, but when the sun is shining outside and adventure awaits, I hate to keep it waiting too long. Summer in NZ can be brief, so I make the most of the sunny days when they're here.

Comments

SVada said…
Love the idea of combining kayaking (an old and almost forgotten sport/hobby of mine) and geocaching (a next to brand new hobby of mine :) )!!!