Conversation?

Hi.
I know you may read Conversations@Intersections daily, while others tend to catch up on things once a week or so.

There's a super little gadget built in to Blogger that allows YOU to COMMENT on what you are reading. It does not LIMIT you to COMMENTing on just that, but allows you to COMMENT on anything you'd like to comment on.

Go ahead. Click on it!

I'm not being cheeky or sarcastic. (It's kind hard to read tone of voice online sometimes.)

I see the stats for those who lurk/read the blog.
I'm glad you're there.
I'd be thrilled to hear from you!

A conversation is communication by two, three, or more people, or by one's self. Conversations are the ideal form of communication in some respects, since they allow people with different views on a topic to learn from each other. A speech, on the other hand, is an oral presentation by one person directed at a group.

Those engaging in conversation naturally relate the other speaker's statements to themselves, and insert themselves (or some degree of relation to themselves, ranging from the replier's opinions or points to actual stories about themselves) into their replies. For a successful conversation, the partners must achieve a workable balance of contributions. A successful conversation includes mutually interesting connections between the speakers or things that the speakers know.

I write this blog because it is good for me to write. I guess I wonder sometimes why you stop by and read it. Curiosity is a trait that I both enjoy and suffer from.

Keep reading as it suits you. Comment when you can. Thanks!

Comments

Quote Collector said…
So, when DO you plan on having a dog as a member of YOUR family?

I strongly recommend it!
jaybhorn said…
http://www.martynemko.com/articles/do-you-talk-too-much_id1371

one of my favorite blogs, kottke.org posted this today about conversations, and I thought you might appreciate it.

I especially liked the part about the 1st 30/60/90 seconds that someone talks to you.

Listening skills, as you and Dale Carnegie have stated, are so important, and it almost alarming when someone speaks on and on without allowing a break to let you in on the conversation.

There is a big difference between engaging in a conversation, and merely venting for self satisfaction.

jay

ps...11 inches of snow in Anderson today!!! Schools out...SNOW DAY!!!!