Is this blog a Spring or a Well?

Tall Skinny Kiwi spoke at Blog World Expo on the idea of blogs being springs and not wells. He was talking about the story of Jesus and the woman at the well. We, and our blogs as extensions of ourselves, should be dynamic springs and not stagnant wells.

His comments spawned comments online.
"My big take away from Andrew's talk (slides) was ~ A blog should not be a well. It should be a spring. ~ Although Andrew put it into a religious context, his concept makes perfect sense to me not only for blogs but for social media in general. Think about it .. a well contains stagnant waters. Stagnation occurs when there is no new flow of water. Blogs, social networks, wikis and all the other tools/tactics allow for and encourage fresh water or new ideas to flow." Diva Marketing Blog
TSK continues:
Another thought:
Sometimes wells are used to just store things. In Genesis, Joseph was hidden in a cistern by his brothers because they didnt know what to do with him. Eventually some merchants came buy, purchased him as a slave, and hauled him off to Egypt. Some blogs are like that - old articles awaiting a publisher, old thoughts awaiting an entrepreneur, old memories awaiting someone to hear them. Better to be a spring - a reticulating dynamic source of life that comes from God and constantly streams out to whoever needs it. A spring that never runs out. Oh . . what streams may come?

Andrew Jackson commented: I liked this analogy as well. Static vs. Dynamic. Although, we probably do not want to make a huge contrast here.

Hopefully, a quality blog also has historic content depth (in other words it is a well). A person should be able to go to a blog and not simply get wet in the contemporary moment, but also dig deep into the historical well of its archive.

Conversation@Intersection readers,

Do you ever go back in to the archives here, dip in to the well that has accumulated over the months?

The archives are there, listed chronologically and with vaguely sketched topics, but I'm not sure who goes back there. The SEARCH feature at the top might be of use to some. I know I use it when I've lost my train of thought. Tell me how it is with you. I'm usually thinking ahead more than behind.

Comments

Tash McGill said…
I use my blog as both a well and a spring - sometimes other blogs springboard new ideas for me... others are ideas and thoughts that I want to collect for reference .. and often I reflect on previous thinking on my blog and change tack.. so it's both and really - and i love searching out the tags on people's blogs... to see the collection of thoughts and ideas around a subject they have.
Jill said…
Thanks Tash, for continuing the conversation.

Check out more of Tash's insights and contributions on her blog . . .
http://tashmcgill.blogspot.com/

Valuable & varied in content.