Yerpedu, India

Have been traveling between places . . . trains, buses and planes, even a auto rickshaw . . . . and too tired the one night there would have been email access.

Met many nice people in the US groups visiting up North, but boy was I glad when they left and I felt like I could pay a little more attention to Indians!

I'm now near Yerpedu, some distance from Chennai(Madras). There are many tribes here so many people are multi-lingual, at least at a functional level. My Shona is not coming in handy at all though.

The difference between the missions, north & south, is night and day. I respect and love both couples so it is interesting to compare without any criticism. Christ is being proclaimed!

Up north they do things in a big way, are gracious and generous and know how to friend-raise as a means to fund raising.

In the South they are as generous and sincere but try to do things in such a way that the ministry can continue should they no longer be here. That includes their lifestyle and money decisions. Gotta respect a pervasive integrity that thinks long term.

I'll try to find time to journal a bit so I don't forget things to write later, but there's been very little time and I'm usually exhausted at night and fall into it when I get any where near my bed.

Have taught several times and was pleased that my cross cultural "rural" or impoverished worldview came back when needed. That's the Holy Spirit.

Today more than 80 HIV positive kids were here with their caregivers. I tried to referee the use of teeter totters and swings without any Telugu or Hindi. Tone of voice and the fact that I was taller than them got me a certain distance, but I finally called for reinforcements and came back to the adult gathering.

Tomorrow we'll visit a tribal church group who is building a humble meeting place. Then we'll visit a family of a man I meet a few days ago and he wants to host me and have me meet his wife and family. Then we'll go to a pre-wedding meal before going back the next morning nearly for the actual wedding! What an opportunity to see in to an aspect of culture! I do have the right clothes for it as I have bought 3 kurtas and was given one by a tailor. He watched me while I was speaking in a service, offered to make it and then delivered it that night, no alteration required. Scarey, but impressive! The man was looking at my body and not necessarily listening to the teaching! [Kurta is a long tunic with decorations, a scarf or shawl and loose pants to go under. Very pretty and comfortable.]

Food is good and I'm not tired of rice yet though I've had it a few times each day since I started out. Nothing boring about the sauces and meats they put with it! Only using a few antacids so pleased that I'm still adaptable. Most of the snacks I brought will be left here as I've not needed the emergency rations.

Have had little reading time, so the idea of leaving books behind has not worked as planned, but that's ok. I'm in the right area for beads as they make them nearby. How many to buy!?

Otherwise, bringing back a little tea, not as much as I had thought as most of the good stuff seems to be exported. Globalisation!

I'll try to upload a photo soon, but connection speeds are s-l-o-w out here, so just grateful to get online at all.

Need to iron a few things so I'll sign off. Thanks for your prayers & interest.

Comments

Rachael said…
Glad to hear you are still there and going for it - {{HUGS}}
Tash McGill said…
you are loved and i look forward each day to the telling of your adventures, and the thoughts you had so graciously prepared before departure..

your voice is becoming more and more precious each day! x come home soon!
Woven and Spun said…
Jillaroo! So glad to hear you are still negotiating the adventure, fellowship, food & language differences so well . . . but it was always within you anyway, so will always stand you in good stead.
Love you,
Tiff
Jill said…
Thanks for your comments. I'm feeling a bit disconnected, but even that is a benefit of this trip. I can choose which pieces of my life to pick up when I'm back in Auckland, or to hold them loosely or to view them differently.