Prayer: Too many words

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me . . . .

That about sums it up.
Why do we think we need so many words when we pray?
It is good to form our thoughts. It is good to tell God where we are and what's happening in our hearts, minds & lives. He knows, but the process is good. The conversation is good.

But what of being in His presence and not allowing too many words to get in the way?

I believe in biblical praying, in praying Scripture, in praying in ways I know are consistent with the heart of God. There are mantras and formulas proposed which are not, to my way of thinking, of Christ or biblical. Do be discerning.

Consider the following and see if you can sit with one of these prayers in God's presence, saying just the one phrase with different intonation or emphasis, so as to calm your mind and heart and really focus. You might try speaking one phrase as you breath in and completing, or repeating, it as you breath out.

Let me know how it goes with you.

"My God and my All" (source St. Francis)

“Speak Lord… for your servant hears” (Samuel, 1 Samuel 3:9 & 10, NKJV)

“Give thanks to the Lord… for he is good” (David, 1 Chronicles 16:34)

“The Lord is my Shepherd… I shall not want” (David, Psalm 23:1, KJV)

“Taste and see… that the Lord is good” (David, Psalm 34:8)

“Be still… and know that I am God” (Korah’s family, Psalm 46:10, KJV)

“The Lord… will be [my] confidence” (Solomon, Proverbs 3:26)

“The joy of the Lord… is [my] strength” (Nehemiah 8:10)

“Let it be to me… according to your word” (Mary, Luke 1:38, NKJV)

“Our Father… Hallowed be thy name” (Jesus, Matthew 6:9, KJV)

“Father... glorify your name” (Jesus, John 12:28, NKJV)

“Father… into your hands I commit my spirit” (Jesus, Luke 23:46, NKJV)

“Live by the Spirit… Keep in step with the Spirit” (Paul, Galatians 5:25)

“To live is Christ… and to die is gain” (Paul, Philippians 1:21, KJV)

“In Christ’s humility… consider others better than yourselves” (Paul, Philippians 2:3)

“I want to know Christ… and the power of his resurrection” (Paul, Philippians 3:10)

“My God… will meet all your needs” (Paul, Philippians 4:19) from

Or maybe . . .
- Jesus, let me feel your love.
- Show me your way, O Lord.
- Holy one, heal me.
- Alleluia, have mercy, Jesus.

Our focus is on God via our mediator Jesus who sits at His right hand.Let not our theology or propriety or religiosity get in the way of being with Him.

Comments