"What I pass along . . ."

My friend Cheryl writes on In the Life of a Busy Woman:
  • I have defined faith by doctrine - do I believe the right thing?
  • At other times, I have defined faith by spiritual formation - am I growing & changing into the woman God made me to be?
    Here's my food for thought:

  • I am migrating towards defining faith by what I pass along to someone else.
I was at at a professional development day this week where we discussed hospitality; its beauty and blessing.

Then, today someone commented that they can still remember something I said to them years ago, something that blessed and helped them.

What we pass on to others is important, and sometimes we will not even be aware we are passing something along.

How many times have I felt I let someone down, didn't quite make the impact I'd hoped, only to find that they received much more than I thought, much more than I knew I was passing on. Maybe it wasn't even my words. Maybe it was just that I cared, that I took the time, that I saw something in them to celebrate & encourage.

What we believe matters. What we practice by way of religion and spiritual disciplines matter. What really matters is the people we can love and bless in Jesus' name. What really matters is that they see the One we love and that they enjoyed being in His presence with us.

Pineapple: Symbol of hospitality: When colonial sea captains returned from their travels, they often displayed a pineapple at their door or upon their gates as a sign that they were home and welcoming friends to their hearth for food and drink and good company.

Comments