Travel Packing List: Tramping

Rule #1: Consider the Destination
I remember packing for overnight trips in Africa. Priorities were torch/flashlight, water bottle, toilet paper and mosquito repellent.

Now, too much of the space in my bag is taken up with chargers, cords and electronic gadgets that go with them. Ugh, 'connected' is not always a good word.

But when I'm going tramping/hiking/trekking, then I think again and enjoy the freedom of being unplugged!
PRIORITIES: I need to take the right boots or shoes, good socks, a backpack of appropriate size and comfort, layers of clothes, water containers, food, walking poles, a knife and first aid kit, sunscreen, matches, map, compass & now, GPSr. Possibly also a tent and sleeping bag as well as a cooking set-up and a pot. I always throw in loose wool for my toes. A bandanna comes in handy for many things. If you plan to fall in to a hard-to-see area, take a whistle. One of the best things to have at hand is a rubbish bag, or two! It provides waterproofing for your pack, can collect or repel water or be another layer under or over you as you sleep.

Look at WhiteBlaze to read further about lists for the AT in eastern USA.

REI is a good gear source for many. Go to Canada for good gear at Mountain Equipment Coop. In NZ try Snowgum or R&R Sport or Kathmandu.

Comments