Make your own lists, or someone might make one for you!

What kind of lists are found in your pocket, bag or behind the visor of your car?

Some people are making bucket lists, a list of things they'd like to do before they die. We can do better than that. How about some lists for living!

Of course there are To-do Lists, whether you make them for youself or others make them for you. My grandmother had a Honey-do List which my grandfather used to keep track of little things that needed doing around the house.

I make vocabulary lists in the back of the book I'm reading so I can go back and look those words up when I have a dictionary handy. I try not to do that with library books, usually reverting to a small card or bookmark.

Along the same lines, there's a list of the 100 words every high school student should know.

Getting Things Done provides a lists of lists on their tips & tools archive.

Account and $ numbers- credit card #s, PIN #s, etc. (make sure wherever you keep these, it is safe and secure.)

Affirmations- personal self-talk scripts for positive internal programming.

Basic personal numbers (self and family members)- drivers license, social security, insurance policies, Whatever you may need for yourself and others when filling out forms.

Birthdays- (if you don't put them on your digital calendar system), group by date, as reviewable (those during a month, put in tickler for that month, etc.)

Borrowed stuff- things you’ve loaned folks and might care to get back someday.

Checklists- Travel, Take sailing...,

Personal New Habits to Create, etc.

Gifts- organized by people and/or a general list of neat things to buy for others (fresh maple syrup from Vermont, styluses for Palms, etc.... and where to get them.) Great for birthdays, ad-hoc niceness, and Christmas time.

Ideas I don't know what to do with, now that I've had them...- we all have them, and they don't fit anywhere except in an "they don't fit anywhere" place.

Jokes- the current ones that you'd like to get some mileage out of.

Might wanna buy...- could be one mega-list, or (more commonly) grouped by the type of thing it is: cds, cigars, wines, books, videos.

Might wanna do when...- possibilities when you're in a certain location or doing a certain activity. By city, country, or region (things to do/think about when I'm in Napa Valley, London, Santiago.) Or by activity (Web surfing places to visit.)

Might wanna do with...- if you're into any animate or inanimate objects: my kids, my spouse, my dogs, my piano, my woodcarving tools, my garden, my computer.

Previous addresses and employers- keep at least your last three.

Quotes- "Cool Quotes - where I can jot down quotations I come across that I like." (Joel Millican)

Restaurants- for business or pleasure, to review for ideas instead of same-old same-old.

Style or product numbers I may need when I'm buying things- oil filter, vacuum cleaner bags, labeler cassettes, etc.

Tips/Shortcuts- speed-key codes, shortcut codes for new systems (voicemail, answering machine, pager, software apps, new Palm III, etc.) Any new skill set you're learning can have a remind-me-about list specific to its features and activities until they are habitual and under your belt.

Vacation things to do- those things that you might like to do if you are into seriously doing nothing (take pictures, hike, hotels to stay in for a night, spa treatments, places to explore, etc.)

The origins of this post came from GTD's Cool & Convenient Lists

Go to List of Bests for more examples of things you can list, or share ar marvel at.

You'll find books to read next, music to listen to, or not, etc.

Comments