Lord Jesus, have mercy. . .

I walked round and round and into the depths of a labyrinth, with only my friend Cheryl, on an autumn day in Indianapolis. Cheryl entered the labyrinth and maintained her own pace and space.

I had read a few verses of Scripture before beginning, and even carried my pocket New Testament with me, but my focus became very sharp as I walked deeper into the labyrinth.

Jesus. My focus was on Jesus. I started praying a short prayer, "Lord Jesus, have mercy on me." Then I started changing the intonation or inflection as I said it. With a different emphasis on each word, the prayer is almost different every time.

The initial mercy He has shown me has made all the difference in my life. The continued mercies He shows me throughout our journey together remind me of the depth and width and breadth of His love.

I started praying the prayer and adding a 'because" followed a phrase that clarified much for me. I don't think it clarified or informed Jesus of anything He didn't already know, but it was illuminating for me.

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, because you can.
Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, because it is in your nature to be merciful.
Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, because I desperately need it.
Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, because I am lost without you.

The progression was from a focus on Him, His character & nature, to me and my dependence upon Him. Sometime I might share more of those phrases, but some of them are really only for us, Jesus and me.

We often make praying too hard. We often use far too many words.
Pare it back. Simplify. Focus.

Comments