San Francisco Spirituality


The first labyrinth I tripped over was in San Francisco when I was flying from Indianapolis to Auckland. When I visit a city I usually try to take in the galleries and gardens, the bookshops and cathedrals, the best local eateries and whatever feature is unique to the area.

As I struggled to the top of the hill and saw Grace Cathedral I was relieved. It was an oasis, a destination and a cool quiet place in a lovely setting.

I entered, even got to enjoy part of a service, appreciating the draped streamers from the high ceilings. The colour and flow of those streamers in that old cathedral really made an impression. Then I saw, inlaid in the floor, a pattern that looked like a series of paths. When I stepped outside into the courtyard, I saw the same pattern surrounded by shrubs and benches, an inviting area. I took one of the brochures explaining the pattern and read how a labyrinth can be used.

It is a great spiritual tool for meditation, decision-making, processing grief or loss, stress relief, etc. In my ignorance and simplicity I walked the labyrinth that day. As a discipler & equipper, I sensed a valuable tool for just about anyone, but especially for those who don't concentrate well, those who would rather participate fully in prayer rather than sit quietly with head bowed and eyes closed.

Follow some of the links below and check out other posts on Conversations at Intersections to read more about labyrinths and how you might use them in your faith community. Get off the couch and go for a walk!

LINKS
Directory of Labyrinth Locators This is the most comprehensive Directory of Labyrinth Locators & photo galleries on the net!. Most of these lists are maintained by dedicated volunteers across the nation. Information is constantly changing, so bookmark us and check back often!

World-Wide Labyrinth Locator

Grace Cathedral, San Francisco
The Grace Cathedral Labyrinth is pictured, partially, in the photo at the bottom of this blog.

The Labyrinth Society

Veriditas: Experience the Wisdom of the Labyrinth, Lauren Artress

Jill Kimberly Hartwell Geoffrion PhD

Comments