Basil Pasta Salad

I'm taking a salad to a shared lunch on Sunday.

I think I'll raid my friend's garden and take this Basil Pasta Salad.

Ingredients:

  • 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound fresh tomatoes, chopped (any variety you like)
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon basil leaves, chopped*
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 pound bowtie pasta, cooked to package directions
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts, lighly toasted

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss well.
Serve at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
* If you can't find lemon basil, use sweet basil leaves and add the juice from half of one lemon to the olive oil. The hint of lemon adds a brightness to the dish.

I like lemon and lime juice in many dishes, and the subtlety of fennel in tomato sauces gets my attention.

What new recipes do you have to share?

Comments