I'm taking a salad to a shared lunch on Sunday.
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, chopped (any variety you like)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon basil leaves, chopped*
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound bowtie pasta, cooked to package directions
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lighly toasted
Preparation:Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss well.
Serve at room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
* If you can't find lemon basil, use sweet basil leaves and add the juice from half of one lemon to the olive oil. The hint of lemon adds a brightness to the dish.
I like lemon and lime juice in many dishes, and the subtlety of fennel in tomato sauces gets my attention.
What new recipes do you have to share?